- Season cube roll with salt & pepper. Dust with flour, shake off excess.
- Cut celery, onion, leek, garlic & carrot into small dices.
- Place large oven-safe pot on medium heat & pour in 3 tbsps of cooking oil. When about to smoke, place in cube roll without crowding pot. Brown cube roll on all sides.
- Remove cube roll from pot, add chopped vegetables, butter, tomato paste, thyme, garlic, bay leaf, pepper & 1 tspn flour. Stir mixture with wooden spoon, scrape any caramelised residue from cube roll.
- When onion is translucent, add port & chopped Roma tomato. Reduce port by half, add cube roll & veal stock to cover.
- Cover with lid or foil & cook in oven for 3hrs at 160C or until meat is tender.
- Allow to cool and mix back into sauce, then roll filling into balls to preferred size & set aside.
- Using puff pastry cut out circles. Bottom circles 2cm larger in diameter than ball of filling. Top circles large enough to drape over filling & reach bottom circle all the way around once connected.
- Place ball of filling on bottom circle.
- Create egg wash by whisking 1 whole egg plus extra egg yolk & brush around circumference of bottom circle.
- Drape top circle over filling, remove air bubbles, seal 2 circles together using fork to press pastry layers together.
- Egg-wash top of pies & poke hole with skewer in top of pie.
- Bake in fan-forced oven at 180C for 15 minutes or until tops are golden brown & filling is hot.